Android phones are the most popular smartphones available in the market today. Unlike Apple's iOS, the Android system can be used by a variety of smartphones from different brands. It also allows users to connect to their Google accounts and enjoy smartphone apps which are also available in iOS.
However, since a lot of brands use Android for their phones, it can be difficult to pick which ones are the best Android phones. Today, the Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus and Google Pixel 3 are being hailed as the best Android phones in the market. If you are considering on buying them, here’s our review of the two phones and which one we think is the best.
Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus
Score: 4.5 of 5
Price: $755.99- $899
(price varies depending on storage capacity)
The Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus is the latest Samsung Android phone the company has to offer and can be considered as a rival to Apple's iPhone Xs Max. It is the result of Samsung's 10 year research in innovating mobile features that are not seen in any phone in the market. Everything in this phone allows it to stand out from the rest and make it a must have phone.
Here are the major features of the Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus
- It has a 6.4" display which gives users more space to see content with their phones.
- It uses a Dynamic AMOLED screen to make it easy to the eyes and support the Infinity-O Display. This means that there are no distractions when you view photos and videos.
- To unlock the phone, users have to touch the screen for the Ultrasonic Fingerprint system to read your fingerprints.
- Its camera can capture stunning photos and will even assist users adjust their photos. Several lenses are built in the camera to ensure it can take selfies, photos and videos easily.
- It has a Wireless PowerShare system that allows users to charge other devices through their phone.
- It uses a Fast Wireless Charging 2.0 system to recharge the phone in full in minutes.
- It can connect to Wi-Fi 6 and LTE, guaranteeing fast and stable internet even in public networks. Data can reach up to 2.0Gbps when it is in use.
- The phone uses a unique AI hardware that will allow the phone to adjust its settings based on your phone uses and ensure it runs longer every day.
- It has a new AI called Bixby Routines to suggest what users can do with their phone.
The Google Pixel 3, and its larger variant XL, is the revised version of the Pixel 2. It promises to be the best smartphone with a powerful camera and a lot cheaper than major players like Apple and Samsung.
Here are the major features of the Google Pixel 3:
- It uses the latest Android OS - Android 9 Pie - to run its major functions.
- It has a 5.5" inch OLED display, protected in Gorilla Glass 5 screen.
- It has two storage variants - 64 or 128 GB - and comes with a 4GB RAM capacity.
- The camera is capable of taking 12.2MP pictures, while the front camera is a 8MP fixed-focus lens.
- Users will be able to conect to WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS, and it is NFC-compatible for wireless payments.
- It has a 2915mAh battery for the Pixel 3 and the XL has a 3430mAh battery. It can be charged wirelessly or through USB-C.
- It is IP68 resistant, allowing the phone to be used in slightly wet conditions with no problems.
- The phone can be accessed with the help of its fingerprint sensors.
- It comes in three colors: Just Black, Very White and Not Pink
Google Pixel 3
Score: 4.5 of 5
Price: $499 / XL available for $699
Price varies depending on storage
Now that we know the features, its time we compare the two to see which one is best. To do this, we will review them based on the following criteria.
When it comes to design, the Pixel 3 is available in 5.5- and 6.3-inch models. This ensures that the phone is compact while still large to browse more content. The Galaxy S10 Plus is wider than the Pixel 3 with a 6.4-inch display.
Screen wise, the S10 Plus has a wider screen thanks to the Infinity-O display it uses. As a result, you get to see content in everyy inch of the screen. The only gap you will see are the punch holes where the cameras are located. The Pixel, meanwhile, uses the standard bezels to mount the camera and screen.
It is important to note that the S10 Plus' screen is unique because the fingerprint sensors is under the display. As a result, it is easier to unlock the phone since you only need to touch the display to get it open. The Pixel will still require you to place your designated finger in the sensor found behind the phone.
Finally, the S10 Plus also has a headphone jack, which is missing in Pixel 3. Pixel 3 remedies this problem with a USB-C port headset.
Design winner: Samsung S10 Plus
Both the S10 Plus and Pixel 3 use OLED screens to promote a more vibrant display. Samsung; however, takes this further as it uses a Dynamic AMOLED display to enhance screen brightness. It also reduces the amount of blue light radiating from the screen to protect the eyes.
When it comes to colors, the Pixel 3 is more colorful because it recognizes 202 percent of the sRGB spectrum. The S10 Plus only covers 136.5 percent. As a result, the colors displayed in the S10 Plus are closer to the natural colors of its subject. The S10 Plus will even shine brightly and make users able to see even under the sun.
Display winner: Samsung S10 Plus
Since the release of its Pixel series, Google has ensured that the Pixel 3 is unrivalled by other Android phones. While it only has a single rear 12MP f/1.8 lens and 8MP front cam, it does boost an 8MP wide-angle lens for selfies.
Google also supported its camera with a powerful software that can identify how photos can be adjusted. It also has features such as Night Sight, which is perfect for night and low-light photography, and Top Shot, which helps users pick the best burst photo. Further updates also ensures that the Pixel 3's AI camera system works flawlessly.
Samsung also has a great camera setup, but still a bit further behind Pixel's camera. It has three-cameras on the back and two at the front for more in-depth shots. The front cameras matches the Pixel's setup, giving the S10 better selfies. Like the pixel, the S10 also updates its camera software regularly to ensure constant shots.
Software - The S10 Plus uses not just the Android system to power up its system. It also uses ONE UI, which would clean up the display when you turn it on. In previous models, the icons are cluttery and can look overcrowded if you have a lot of apps installed. Updates can take ages for Samsung as well, which can be bad if you want to keep your UI and software fluidly working.
However, the Pixel 3 has a better setup than the S10 Plus. In Pixel's case, it mimics the fluid user interface offered by Apple. Android is carefully optimized for the Pixel 3 to give a more fluid experience. Apps load fast and you won't have trouble having to update it. The phone immediately connects to Google's Android server and notifies you when an update is ready.
Camera winner: Google Pixel 3
When it comes to performance, the S10 Plus is ahead of the game because it uses the brand new Snapdragon 855 chip. This chip allows the phone to respond immediately to user selection. It also ensures that apps run fast and no lags. It will also finish tasks without any problems at all.
Pixel 3 will not fail users when it comes to performance. However, since it was released, several users have reported a lot of lags with their phones. Some reported poor call and connection quality. Applications also take a while to load and features like speakerphones, fast charging and autofocus also fail to work. Google has tried its best to release software updates to correct this problem and has continued to do so at present time.
Performance winner: Samsung S10 Plus
Battery wise, the Pixel 3 is not as great as its predecessor. In some reviews, the Pixel 3 was only able to last 8 hours in constant use as compared to the longer time recorded by the Pixel 2 XL at 12 hours. The S10 Plus is a different story thanks to its 4,100 mAh battery. It is now able to work nonstop for 12 hours in a full single charge.
When it comes to how fast it charges, both phones are capable of wireless charging. However, the S10 Plus can double as an extra powerbank for other devices, which indicates how powerful its batteries are. Pixel 3 charges up fast thanks to its 17-watt fast charging charger.
Battery winner: Samsung S10 Plus
Samsung S10 Plus is the signature phone for the S10 series. Because of this, the starting price for the phone is $999. The larger the storage, the more expensive it is.
Pixel 3, meanwhile, starts at $499 for its 64GB while its 128 GB starts at $950.
Price winner: Google Pixel 3, But it depends on you 😉
If you are purchasing an Android phone, it is important to remember that not all Android phones are the same. There are those that are packed with a lot of features and those which do not advanced features. Both the Samsung Galaxy 10 Plus and the Google Pixel 3 are ahead of their pack for the features they have to offer.
For us, if you want a smartphone that comes with everything you will need, the Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus is the phone to go. Sure, it can be quite pricy, but it has all the features you will need for a smartphone. If you are in need of a smartphone that can take great shots at a fraction of the cost, you will not go wrong with the Pixel 3. It also guarantees the perfect Android experience since the makers of this phone are the ones behind the operating software.
So, choose wisely and check our review before you buy!